History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Calcining Kilns and attached abutment at Tondu Ironworks

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sarn, Bridgend

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5482 / 51°32'53"N

Longitude: -3.6002 / 3°36'0"W

OS Eastings: 289142

OS Northings: 184465

OS Grid: SS891844

Mapcode National: GBR HC.FP50

Mapcode Global: VH5HB.KC31

Entry Name: Calcining Kilns and attached abutment at Tondu Ironworks

Listing Date: 9 November 1998

Last Amended: 9 November 1998

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 20816

Building Class: Industrial

Location: Set in the hillside between the company housing of Derllwyn Road and Park Terrace above and the levelled area below where the Engine House stands, just above the old furnace bank and opposite the Lift

County: Bridgend

Community: Ynysawdre

Community: Ynysawdre

Locality: Tondu

Built-Up Area: Sarn

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Tondu

History

Sir Robert Price developed ironworking here from 1837 and the kilns appear to belong to the first stage of development and are shown in 1854 lease. Iron ore was burnt with coal for 3 days and calcined to eliminate moisture and impurities before smelting, the ore being drawn from the bottom of the kiln. Coke produced in nearby banks of coke ovens and the calcined ore were then charged into the top of stone blast furnaces built into the furnace bank opposite. The Dyffryn Llynvi Porthcawl Railway, the early tramroad built c 1828 to transport iron and coal from the valley to the port of Porthcawl, ran NW above the site with connecting tramway to the calcining kilns. This section was maintained after the rest of the railway was abandoned in 1861 and replaced by the Llynfi Valley Railway, the route along the valley below the ironworks.

Exterior

A bank of 7 kilns attached at rear to a revetted ramped approach bank from where the kilns were charged. Kilns are of coursed stone rubble, some dressed stone and yellow brick dressings, some red brick patching. At ground level a range of semi-circular openings with 2 rows of brick voussoirs; funnel shaped chambers have brick arched vaults and stone walls. Bank corner has dressed quoins and there is a protruduing course of dressed stone above the openings. Plinth to side left and to rear a blocked stone and brick arch. Attached buttressed ramp thickly covered in vegetation with features unidentifiable.

Reasons for Listing

Listed grade II* for exceptional rarity and excellent condition. Group Value with Lift Tower.

Scheduled Ancient Monument ref. GM 433 (BRI).

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.