This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9131 / 51°54'47"N
Longitude: -3.8017 / 3°48'6"W
OS Eastings: 276169
OS Northings: 225370
OS Grid: SN761253
Mapcode National: GBR Y4.PMN4
Mapcode Global: VH5FH.251S
Entry Name: Bedw Hirion
Listing Date: 10 November 1998
Last Amended: 10 November 1998
Source ID: 20826
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated down long track running N and W off lane from Cross Inn to Twynllanan from point about 700m W of Cross Inn.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Farmhouse or small gentry house of 1796 built for Thomas Thomas. Thomas Thomas was much involved in the establishment of the Methodist congregation at Twynllanan. Marked on the 1841 Tithe map as a holding of 101 acres (40.9ha) owned by Lloyd David Harries and occupied by David Davies and David Jones.
Farmhouse, rubble stone with slate roof and stone end stacks, larger stack to left. Stacks have weathercourses and thin stone cornices. Two-storey, three-window range offset to right. Squared cornerstones. Five-pane horned sashes with stone voussoirs and stone sills. C20 centre door with similar voussoirs. Plaque Thomas Thomas AD 1796 and text from Hebrews III 4 (For every house is builded by some man but he that built all things is God) in Welsh. Rear added lean-to partly collapsed. Attached to left end is outbuilding in rubble stone with corrugated iron roofs. Front has lean-to and door to extreme right. End wall has door with timber lintel and loft light above.
House had been derelict, roof and floors renewed late C20. N end original big timber fireplace lintel dated 1796. Barn has truncated remains of scarfed crucks. Two big chamfered beams.
Included as a dated late C18 farmhouse or smaller gentry house retaining vernacular character and some original detail including date plaque and fireplace beam.
Other nearby listed buildings