This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8534 / 51°51'12"N
Longitude: -3.1048 / 3°6'17"W
OS Eastings: 324000
OS Northings: 217777
OS Grid: SO240177
Mapcode National: GBR F2.TDGF
Mapcode Global: VH78Z.4PG1
Entry Name: Golden Grove
Listing Date: 19 November 1998
Last Amended: 19 November 1998
Source ID: 20833
Building Class: Domestic
Location: 350m S of Llangenny church on W side of Grwyne Fawr and reached by private road and footpath leading S from Llangenny Bridge.
Community: The Vale of Grwyney (Cwm Grwyne)
Community: The Vale of Grwyney
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
C17 farm house improved early C19 when 2 new wings were added. The house at this time was probably occupied by the manager of the adjacent Llangenny Paper Mill founded late C18, which became known as the Golden Grove Mill in 1840 and closed c1893. The house was restored early 1960s.
Two-storey main range with a lower one-and-a-half storey wing forward on R (the original house), behind which is a 2-storey rear wing set back. Of pebble-dashed rubble stone and synthetic slate roofs. The main range has a stone stack to L and hipped roof to R; the front wing has battered walls and a steep roof. The main range has a 2-bay front with paired hornless sashes (taller in the lower storey) and a doorway to R beneath a C19 decorative iron canopy (part repaired in wood). The wing gable end has a similar tripartite sash in the lower storey and a paired attic sash above. In the L side wall is a blocked doorway (visible inside).
The R side wall of the original house wing has a paired sash window to the centre and a raking half dormer with sash window to R. The rear wing has a tall rock-faced stack rising from eaves to L and a casement below the wall plate offset to R. In the lower storey is a central boarded door with pantry window to R and casement in earlier opening to L.
The main range has a stair hall and an open-well stair with turned newels and plain balusters. In the front wing the cross beams are boxed in. The rear wing has a pantry with stone slabs.
Included for its association with Golden Grove Mill, and for group value with the Drying House of the mill.
Other nearby listed buildings