This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8448 / 51°50'41"N
Longitude: -3.1174 / 3°7'2"W
OS Eastings: 323122
OS Northings: 216831
OS Grid: SO231168
Mapcode National: GBR F1.TWYG
Mapcode Global: VH6CH.XWBP
Entry Name: Le Chateau (also known as Llan Wysg)
Listing Date: 19 November 1998
Last Amended: 19 November 1998
Source ID: 20847
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Set back from the S side of the A40 W of Cwrt-y-Gollen Training Camp.
Community: The Vale of Grwyney (Cwm Grwyne)
Community: The Vale of Grwyney
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Built in 1864 (date on building) possibly as an estate manager's house. The initials 'RFD' on the building refer to the Davies family of Cwrt y Gollen, the mansion which stood on the N side of the Abergavenny to Brecon road opposite the house. The Cwrt y Gollen Estate was sold c1895 to Mrs Sandeman of Danyparc, Crickhowell.
One-storey house with attic, in a picturesque Gothic style, and consisting of a main range with a wing behind to centre and a tower offset behind to R. Of coursed, rock-faced sandstone with bigger quoins, and a roof of banded grey and red tiles with openwork barge boards and pendant finials. A tall stone stack is to R of centre and an external stack is to L of main range, each with a recessed round-headed panel. The rear wing has a similar ridge stack. The main range has a symmetrical 3-bay entrance front. The central bay is advanced under a gable. In the lower storey is an arch with a 2-centre head beneath a hood mould, leading into a porch which has a half-lit door with mullioned lights to the house. Above the arch is a shield bearing a dragon and the date of the building (as above). The attic has a sill band and a 2-light casement window with Y-tracery under a 2-centred head and a hood mould. In the outer bays are 3-light windows in the lower storeys under hood moulds, and 2-light half-dormers. In the R gable end is a V-shaped bay window in the lower storey and a 2-light casement to the attic.
The tower is 3-stage, square in plan in the lower stages, turning octagonal in the upper stage. Above modillion eaves is a conical lead spirelet. In the upper stage are narrow windows, in the middle stage a 2-light casement with sill band, and in the lower storey a half-lit door with a hood mould offset to R. The wing has, in the R side wall, a 2-light half-dormer and a 2-light casement lower L, similar to the front.
Not inspected at time of survey (December 1997).
Listed as an intact Victorian estate house in a prominent location, and with a distinctive tower.
Other nearby listed buildings