History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in The Vale of Grwyney, Powys

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.906 / 51°54'21"N

Longitude: -3.1087 / 3°6'31"W

OS Eastings: 323823

OS Northings: 223628

OS Grid: SO238236

Mapcode National: GBR F1.Q5HX

Mapcode Global: VH78S.2CD7

Entry Name: The Old Chapel

Listing Date: 19 November 1998

Last Amended: 19 November 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 20857

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Approximately 3.3km N of Llanbedr church, on N side of a minor road and on R bank of Grwyne Fechan.

County: Powys

Community: The Vale of Grwyney (Cwm Grwyne)

Community: The Vale of Grwyney

Locality: Grwyne Fechan

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Find accommodation in
Pont Newydd

History

C16 chapel of ease belonging to Talgarth parish. Abandoned by C19, it was converted to a nonconformist chapel 1880 with new seating and roof, a new E window and W door. Became an outdoor education centre late C20.

Exterior

Single-cell chapel with battered walls of rubble sandstone (with traces of limewash) and pantile roof with an added brick stack L of centre. The S wall has a Tudor-headed doorway L with a stop-chamfer surround and a boarded door. A 3-light window to centre has replaced round-headed lights (probably replacing earlier cusped lights), R of which is a segmental-headed priest's doorway blocked to form a window. The E wall has a pointed-arched horned sash window inserted 1880 and replacing an earlier narrower E window. The N wall has a single 1-light window in a dressed stone surround. The W wall has a segmental-headed doorway of 1880, with a later half-lit door, and a small lancet offset to R below the apex with inserted casement (and which formerly housed the bell).

Interior

Four-bay roof of king posts with raking struts, of 1880. Otherwise the interior is converted for its present use.

Reasons for Listing

Included, notwithstanding recent conversion, for its retention of medieval detail and for the special interest of a remote chapel converted for nonconformist use.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.