This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8901 / 51°53'24"N
Longitude: -3.9618 / 3°57'42"W
OS Eastings: 265092
OS Northings: 223104
OS Grid: SN650231
Mapcode National: GBR DX.R3Y2
Mapcode Global: VH4HY.8RXD
Entry Name: Barn at Pentre Parr
Listing Date: 24 November 1998
Last Amended: 24 November 1998
Source ID: 20916
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Situated behind Pentre Parr, some 3km NE of Ffairfach, up drive from Pentre Parr Lodge on S side of Llangadog road.
Community: Cyngor Bro Dyffryn Cennen (Dyffryn Cennen)
Community: Cyngor Bro Dyffryn Cennen
Locality: Bethlehem Road
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Barn, probably of the later C18, part of a former small gentry estate. The barn stands on its own behind the house and at right angles to the other remaining outbuilding, which has a datestone of 1730 with the arms of Thomas Philipps, a younger son of Tygwyn who settled at Pentre in the early C18. The property passed to the Dynevor estate in the later C18 and was still known as Pentre Philipps in the estate map book of 1793, but in 1796 it was occupied by Joseph Parr Wood and called Pentre Parr. On the 1841 Tithe Map Pentre Parr was owned by Lord Dynevor and occupied by Mary Philipps.
Barn, rubble stone, part whitewashed, with stone tiled roof. E front has tall double doors with timber lintel to left, lower double door with timber lintel to right and three ventilation loops, to extreme left and right, and to centre. N end gable has three loops and 3 tiers of dove holes. Rear has loops to left and centre, low double doors with timber lintel to right; blocked low door to left of centre. S gable end has similar loops and traces of dove holes with stone shelves, and mark of roofline of a demolished addition.
Six-bay roof of pegged oak tie-beam and collar trusses, all numbered.
Included as an exceptionally well-preserved example of a C18 barn, of a type characteristic of the region, still with stone-tiled roof.
Other nearby listed buildings