This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8453 / 51°50'42"N
Longitude: -3.9418 / 3°56'30"W
OS Eastings: 266330
OS Northings: 218077
OS Grid: SN663180
Mapcode National: GBR DY.TWDJ
Mapcode Global: VH4J4.MWG9
Entry Name: Outbuilding on S side of yard at Cwrt Bryn y Beirdd
Listing Date: 24 November 1998
Last Amended: 24 November 1998
Source ID: 20919
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated along S side of yard at Cwrt Bryn y Beirdd.
Community: Dyffryn Cennen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
South side of a courtyard of outbuildings, the others separately listed. This range was part of the very substantial late medieval house at Bryn y Beirdd, suggested as being the kitchen and services, but larger than the house. As illustrated in 1858 an important late C14 to C15 range is shown, but since then the building has been adapted as an outbuilding such that only the N wall and W gable are original, but both possibly lowered. In 1858 there was a medieval roof in the S range with trefoil cusping, double purlins and wind-bracing. The arch at the right end was a doorway with window adjacent, reached from a stone terrace, and the room within was thought to be a great hall. This is illustrated as 'W doorway, hall', together with an 'E doorway' which was pointed with small cusped pointed window adjacent, and appears to have gone.
Outbuildings incorporating remains of a late medieval range. Rubble stone with roofs of zinc or asbestos sheet. Linked ranges on E and part of N sides of court are listed separately.
S range has the medieval stonework surviving. From the right, blocked red sandstone depressed arch (1858 view shows a pair, that to right may be concealed by C19 lean-to on house range). Then cement block C20 addition with head of late C19 opening visible above (1858 view shows a moulded square-headed door up flight of semi-circular stone steps) then C20 door with moulded ogee medieval head above lintel (1858 view shows large pointed window here with tiny pointed window to right. Straight joint to left then small window further left (not in 1858 view but with rough sandstone head and splayed reveals that look old), then C20 square window with medieval ogee head (head is over a moulded stone square-head door in 1858 view). Another similar window to extreme left on site of pointed doorway in 1858 view.
Very large fireplace with sandstone voussoirs to arch at W end of S range, rough stone voussoirs over. Fireplace marked at E end in 1858 plan has gone.
Included as an important survivor of a large medieval courtyard house, adapted as a large courtyard farmstead.
Other nearby listed buildings