This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.997 / 52°59'49"N
Longitude: -4.0709 / 4°4'15"W
OS Eastings: 261110
OS Northings: 346411
OS Grid: SH611464
Mapcode National: GBR 5S.H7KQ
Mapcode Global: WH557.FXPT
Entry Name: Field Cowhouse at Garneddi
Listing Date: 25 November 1998
Last Amended: 25 November 1998
Source ID: 20933
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Located in an upland setting approximately 50m SW of Garneddi and roughly 1km E of Nantmor village; accessed via a long gated lane leading NE from the Nantmor to Garreg road.
Locality: Ty Mawr
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Field cowhouse, probably late C17 (bearing graffito of 1728). Originally intended to house a small number of cows or cattle, detached from the main buildings of the farmstead.
Vernacular field cowhouse, sited against the slope of a hill. Of boulder rubble construction on pronounced boulder and rock foundations; cement grouted slate roof with crudely-kneelered rubble gable parapets. Entrance to the front gable with crude projecting lintel supported on stone corbels; deeply-recessed boarded stable door. Open loadingdoor to the rear gable; the roof has a discreet skylight to the R pitch. Adjoining to the eastern long side are two C19 rubble lean-tos, continuously-roofed with corrugated iron; modern stable door to the front and open to the rear.
Three-bay interior with original crude pegged trusses of collar and tie-beam type; the original purlins and rafters also survive. Slate-flagged floor with central slate gully and slate partitions dividing the stalls.
Various graffiti in the doorway jambs, including one dated 1728 with the initials 'Rg '(?).
Listed for its special interest as a good example of a regionally traditional building type, retaining good character, including well-preserved interior arrangement.
Other nearby listed buildings