This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1462 / 53°8'46"N
Longitude: -3.4899 / 3°29'23"W
OS Eastings: 300447
OS Northings: 362043
OS Grid: SJ004620
Mapcode National: GBR 6J.5YJY
Mapcode Global: WH662.C5CW
Entry Name: Glasmor
Listing Date: 15 December 1998
Last Amended: 15 December 1998
Source ID: 20986
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located prominently on the corner, at the crossroads at the S end of the village street.
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Mid C19 village farmhouse with C18 origins. Glasmor stands at the village cross-roads, with two of its contemporary agricultural ranges adjacent and opposite and a third approximately 420m to the E. As such this forms an unusual village farmstead siting, rarely seen in this area. One of the farm buildings is dated 1762 which provides a context for the primary farmhouse. In the C19 it served for a while as an inn, named 'The Black;' it has remained in use as a farmhouse this century.
Large 2-storey, L-plan farmhouse of coursed local rubble construction, with limestone ashlar detailing; slate roof with oversailing verges. The house consists of a primary 2-window main block, with an additional one-window section stepped-down and adjoining to the L. The former has simple end chimneys with plain cornices, the latter a late C19, star-shaped end chimney to the L; of brick with simple cornice band. Near-symmetrical primary section with central entrance via a part-open, gabled wooden porch, on a slate-stone plinth; 6-panel door with simple rectangular overlight. 16-pane unhorned sash windows to both floors, with projecting slate sills and cambered heads; limestone voussoirs. The additional block, to the L, has a tripartite window with prominent quoins to each floor, that to the ground floor with cambered head as before; plain Victorian sashes with 4-pane central sections and narrow flanking 2-pane sections.
The rear elevations are of whitened rubble. The primary section has a lower, gabled rear wing with end chimney; 4-pane sash to the first floor and modern windows to its R return, that to the first floor contained within a simple gabled dormer. Extruded in the angle between the main block and its rear projection is a 2-part rubble lean-to with slated roof, the larger, left-hand section of which has a part-glazed entrance; 2 modern windows to the L. The rear of the additional block has 12-pane unhorned sashes to both floors, the cambered stone heads and quoins of which are painted black.
Plain C19 interiors with simple architraves to panelled doors and a simple stick baluster stair.
Listed for its special interest as a C19 farmhouse with earlier origins, retaining good external character and unusually sited within the village.
Group value with the Agricultural Range to the S of Glasmor.
Other nearby listed buildings