This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1461 / 53°8'46"N
Longitude: -3.4904 / 3°29'25"W
OS Eastings: 300410
OS Northings: 362037
OS Grid: SJ004620
Mapcode National: GBR 6J.5YCS
Mapcode Global: WH662.C53Y
Entry Name: Barn Range to the W of Glasmor
Listing Date: 15 December 1998
Last Amended: 15 December 1998
Source ID: 20989
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Prominently located at the crossroads at the southern end of the village, opposite Glasmor.
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Mid-C18 barn range with earlier primary section to the W. The range was built as one of several agricultural buildings that made up the Glasmor farm, one of which is dated 1762. Unusually for this context, the farm was within, rather than separate from, the village.
Long barn range of local rubble construction under a continuous slate roof. The range is of 3 building phases, with clearly defined masonry breaks; the eastern-most sections appear to be additional and are near-contemporary. Of these, that to the L has a pair of stable entrances with exposed lintels and boarded doors; to the L of these is a small boarded light with pegged oak frame. The 2 remaining sections each have central boarded barn doors with exposed lintels as before; the primary western block has a ventilation slit to the L of its entrance. The eastern gable end has concrete buttressing and an ascending flight of steps; above this is an upper boarded loading bay with exposed lintel. Adjoining the western end is a C20 2-bay open cart addition with corrugated iron roof.
Original roof structure consisting of roughly-chamfered tie beams with curved raking struts; some purlins are replacements, though the rafters are mostly primary. Half-rubble and part timber partitions; earth and rough-flagged floors.
Listed for its special interest as a mid C18 agricultural range forming part of an unusual village farm group.
Group value with Glasmor.
Other nearby listed buildings