This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0915 / 53°5'29"N
Longitude: -3.5873 / 3°35'14"W
OS Eastings: 293801
OS Northings: 356093
OS Grid: SH938560
Mapcode National: GBR 6D.9C2K
Mapcode Global: WH666.VKYC
Entry Name: U-shaped Agricultural Range at Tan-y-graig
Listing Date: 15 December 1998
Last Amended: 15 December 1998
Source ID: 20993
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Located at the SW boundary of the community, approximately 1km E of the Alwen reservoir and 1km SE of the Denbigh to Pentrefoelas road; accessed from the main road via a long unmetalled track and set
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Large and ambitious agricultural range built to serve neighbouring Hafod Elwy and dated 1802. The builder's initials R. C. also appear and probably relate to the Cavendish family; R.C. Cavendish is recorded as the owner of the Hafod Elwy estate in 1881.
Large U-shaped agricultural complex, ranged around a slightly-sloping, partly-grassed and partly concreted yard; modern enclosing metal fence. Of local rubble construction with (renewed) hipped slate roofs. The complex consists of a near symmetrical main range with central cart bays and flanking byre (?) sections, with continuous hayloft above. The L wing contains a large barn with threshing floor and formerly further cart bays to the L. The R wing appears originally to have housed the stables, again with loft above, and with a covered passage through to the rear. The primary openings have segmental arches with recessed, rough-dressed voussoirs, mostly with pegged frames; C20 boarded and stable doors.
Large central double doors to the main range with 3 flanking entrances to each side and 3 evenly-spaced loading bays to the first floor; the second entrance from the R is a modern replacement and has a modern steel-framed window to its L. Two primary loading bays and an entrance (at R) to the rear, with 4 modern windows to the ground floor. The L (barn) wing has a tall barn entrance to the centre, with vertical ventilators to the L and a smaller entrance to the far R. Two blocked cart bays to the L, the first with a modern steel-framed window insertion, the second with a modern entrance. The first floor has 2 evenly-spaced loading bays. The rear of this range has a storeyed, gabled porch with segmental arched entrance and flagged through passage; flanking vent slits. Its front-facing gable end has a tall opening with c1900 part-glazed entrance and boarded section above.
The R (stable) range has 3 entrances to the L, the one closest to the centre giving access to the passage; modern window to the R with original small-pane fixed window to far R (formerly 9-pane and now 8-pane). Its front-facing gable has a loading bay to the centre, with inset slate plaque above bearing the incised date 1802 and the initials 'R. C.' To the L of the gable end is a low, square rubble projection. The rear has a small square boarded opening to the L, under the eaves, with a boarded entrance to the R. Beyond this is a tall, wide cart bay, with boarding under the eaves and a small boarded opening to the upper R, as before. To the R of this is a boarded entrance with a further, blocked entrance immediately beyond. To the far R is a loading bay with boarded opening, as before to its L.
Adjoining the R (stable) wing at right-angles to the NE is a low 4-bay open wood shed. This has a rubble rear wall (perhaps contemporary with the agricultural range) and renewed piers of breeze block construction; slate roof. The rear of this addition has a large plain opening with 9-pane C19 sash window to the R.
Opposite the complex is a rubble-revetted bank with a large semi-circular recess with water outlet forming a water trough.
The main, central section has a central bay with rubble half-walls and 3-bay flanking sections; primary queen-post trusses to roof with roughly-chamfered purlins. The barn wing has a slate-flagged floor and 3-bay roof (as before, though with replaced purlins); the end bay is separated from the remainder by rubble walls with a wide central, full-height opening; part-cobbled floor. C20 cattle stalls to the former stable section. In the centre is a cobbled passage with pine stall gate and boarded partition to former loose boxes at R; roof structure as before.
Listed for its special interest as a particularly good early C19 dated farm courtyard complex, retaining its original form and much of the detail. An excellent example of the kind of planned agricultural complex associated with improving estates at the beginning of the C19.