Abercarn War Memorial
A Grade II Listed Building in Abercarn, Caerphilly
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building.
In some locations, Street View may not
give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6479 / 51°38'52"N
Longitude: -3.1344 / 3°8'3"W
OS Eastings: 321607
OS Northings: 194950
OS Grid: ST216949
Mapcode National: GBR J0.7D8T
Mapcode Global: VH6DG.MVB3
Entry Name: Abercarn War Memorial
Listing Date: 17 December 1998
Last Amended: 17 December 1998
Source ID: 20996
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: In the centre of Abercarn Village, just E of the main thoroughfare, within a rectangular enclosed, part paved, public garden.
Built-Up Area: Abercarn
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
A cenotaph to the dead of Abercarn of the First World War 1914-18 with a plaque added to commemorate those fallen in the Second World War 1939-45. The site is the former Market Square, the historic centre of the village.
Cenotaph of white stone stands on a base of 3 granite steps. Two-tier plinth and base with bronze plaque in a decorative frame. Above is the tapering pier with bronze wreath and Welsh inscription terminating in a cornice moulding. On top stands a bronze female figure in flowing drapery carrying a wreath and blowing a trumpet. At base to rear the added plaque.
Reasons for Listing
Listed as a prominent war memorial of historic interest.
Other nearby listed buildings
Church of St Luke
Set into the wooded hillside above the Ebbw Vale just above the centre of Abercarn, reached up a side road and approached through a shallow stone tiled gateway and up a steep terraced double flight of
Welsh Presbyterian Church
On a steeply wooded slope, close to the Church of St Luke, reached by a steep flight of steps from Gwyddon Road to S and by a drive from Twyn Road just off High Street.
Terraced steps at The Gables
Set in the sloping garden below the garden frontage of the house.
Near the centre of Abercarn, set on a wooded terrace high above Commercial Road and reached by a drive off Rhyswg Road.
English Baptist Church and walled forecourt
Just S of Abercarn village on the main thoroughfare between Abercarn and Cwmcarn.
English Baptist Church Sunday School
At right angles to the English Baptist Church, side-on to the main thoroughfare.
Rhyswg Fawr Farmhouse and walled forecourt
High on the mountain reached by a long lane and track rising from the SE end of Abercarn village, on the S side of the Gwyddon valley.
Barn at Rhyswg Fawr
Close to and on the same axis as the farmhouse but separated from it by a deep well; set into the slope a little downhill.