This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6187 / 51°37'7"N
Longitude: -3.1108 / 3°6'38"W
OS Eastings: 323192
OS Northings: 191678
OS Grid: ST231916
Mapcode National: GBR J1.966T
Mapcode Global: VH7B4.1K9Z
Entry Name: Canal Bridge over Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal E of Cwmbyr
Listing Date: 23 December 1998
Last Amended: 23 December 1998
Source ID: 21006
Building Class: Transport
Location: The westerly of the two remaining bridges in this surviving stretch of canal N of Risca cemetery and S of the mountain burial ground.
Built-Up Area: Risca
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
In 1790s a consortium of coal owners and industrialists sought Parliamentary approval to build canals to link the industrial areas of the N valleys with Newport on the Usk estuary, the canals in turn to link with a system of feeder tramroads. Bill received assent in 1792 and Monmouthshire Canal Navigation company was formed to build two canals; that in the Western Valley, also known as The Crumlin Arm and 11 miles (17.6km) long, was designed to join the Eastern Valley canal just N of Newport, completed c 1797. Engineer Thomas Dadford. Reservoirs to feed canal constructed in mountain valleys to E. In 1865 the Brecknock and Abergavenny and Monmouthshire Canals merged to become the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal which was later incorporated into the Great Western Railway. Much of the Western Valley canal has been filled in to provide a by-pass road but a section survives stretching from the S side of Cwmcarn, the community boundary with Abercarn, to Darren Road, the community boundary with Risca.
Hump-backed bridge of rubble sandstone. Elliptical arch has thin voussoirs and low parapet with flat coping. The abutments curve outwards ending in square piers. Former towpath passed under bridge on S side where there is a stone kerb.
Listed as an intact canal bridge from late C18.
Other nearby listed buildings