This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7219 / 51°43'18"N
Longitude: -4.0972 / 4°5'49"W
OS Eastings: 255237
OS Northings: 204660
OS Grid: SN552046
Mapcode National: GBR GV.6MC9
Mapcode Global: VH4JM.XZVB
Entry Name: Goitre Wen Farmyard: Barn Range
Listing Date: 12 January 1999
Last Amended: 12 January 1999
Source ID: 21102
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: To the north of the farmyard at the rear of Goitre Wen.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Part of a set of probably contemporary farm buildings and domestic offices, the barn carrying the date 1796. The farm was the property of the Lott family and their descendants. It was a gentry farm until the late C19, when the house was subdivided to create a separate farmhouse.
A long combined range of corn barn and cowhouses, symmetrically planned, the whole over 30m long. The barn stands at the centre of the range, with a cowhouse at each end, in tandem. The right cowhouse has a rear extension under a catslide roof. Randomly coursed rubble masonry with dressed stone to the original openings; modern roof sheeting generally, only the rear extension of the right cowhouse now slated. The whole range faces a fine original pitched yard extending across to the sheds and sties opposite. The three-bay barn has a slightly advancing central section which does not correspond with the interior divisions: the barn extends one bay more each side. There is one slit vent above and below in the advancing part each side of the barn door, and another in the adjacent bay at first floor level. Above the door is a panel carrying the date 1796, and over that a low-relief carving of an owl standing on a post. The barn doorway has some brick infilling. There is a similar doorway to rear of the threshing bay; both openings have deep segmental arches, with a slightly projecting outer ring to each arch. The cowhouses at each end are contemporary with the barn. Each cowhouse has three doors facing to the yard, with deep segmental arches and battened doors. Two of the left cowhouse doors have been partly walled up to serve as windows. Above each middle doorway is a pitching aperture with a flat arch in similar masonry to the door openings, and at each side a single vent slit above and below.
The barn is of three bays with tie beam and collar trusses; collar beam trusses also at mid bay positions. The original purlins remain, carrying modern sheeting. There is a pitching opening at high level in each head for hay to be put into the hayloft of each cowhouse. An upper floor (lost) was carried on two cross beams. One bearing block remains from the threshing machinery which superseded hand threshing here. The left cowhouse and the barn are now combined as a milking parlour with concrete floor.
Listed as part of a complete set of late C18 or early C19 farm buildings, and part of an intact farmstead group at Goetre Wen.
Other nearby listed buildings