This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.904 / 51°54'14"N
Longitude: -3.2969 / 3°17'48"W
OS Eastings: 310869
OS Northings: 223625
OS Grid: SO108236
Mapcode National: GBR YT.Q6TD
Mapcode Global: VH6C6.SDXQ
Entry Name: Cross Oak Bridge (Canal Bridge No.147)
Listing Date: 17 December 1998
Last Amended: 17 December 1998
Source ID: 21119
Building Class: Transport
Location: Just E of Lower Cross Oak and adjacent to Canal Cottages.
Community: Talybont-on-Usk (Tal-y-bont ar Wysg)
Locality: Cross Oak
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal was promoted in 1792 to connect the upper Usk valley with the Monmouthshire Canal at Pontymoile and from there to the sea at Newport. First section, between Gilwern and Talybont, was cut between 1797 and 1799, with upper section between Talybont and Brecon opened in 1800, both sections engineered by Thomas Dadford. Lower section between Gilwern and Pontymoile completed 1812 and engineered by William Crosley. Linked to tramroads, the canal was an important artery for trade in iron, lime and coal. In 1865 the Brecknock and Abergavenny and the Monmouthshire Canals merged to become the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal, which was later incorporated into the Great Western Railway. Many bridges had large cast iron weight restriction notices on poles erected at each end. Last toll was taken in 1933. Restoration of canal began 1964.
Hump-back bridge of rubble sandstone. Segmental arch has thin voussoirs and low parapet with flat coping. The abutments curve outwards on both sides and the parapet has square end piers. On the E side is a cast iron plaque with the bridge number cast in relief in keystone position. The towpath passes under bridge on N side and has a stone kerb; on S side is a stringcourse roughly at water level.
This bridge has a track deck and one post for former lozenge -shaped cast iron weight restriction sign .
One of a group of original Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal bridges.
Other nearby listed buildings