This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9029 / 51°54'10"N
Longitude: -3.2771 / 3°16'37"W
OS Eastings: 312230
OS Northings: 223480
OS Grid: SO122234
Mapcode National: GBR YT.QCRL
Mapcode Global: VH6C7.4FWK
Entry Name: Gwynne Holford Monument in the churchyard to SW of Church of St Ffraed
Listing Date: 17 December 1998
Last Amended: 17 December 1998
Source ID: 21143
Building Class: Commemorative
Location: In Llansantffraed churchyard, SW of the church, in a prominent position by the boundary wall overlooking the road.
Civil Community: Talybont-on-Usk (Tal-y-bont ar Wysg)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The Gwynne Holford family were major landowners in this area in the C19, owning the important Buckland Estate which was sold early C20. Their land stretched over to Llangorse including many farms near the Lake and Treholford at Cathedine acquired by the family in the early C19. There are family links with the Holfords of Westonbirt. This monument was erected to Col Gwynne Holford of Buckland and Cilgwyn Carmarthenshire (d 1846) by his widow in 1847. Other members of the family are commemorated on added plaques.
Catafalque of ashlar with marble plaques in a wide kerbed surround. Stands on a stone base with deep moulded battered plinth. Chest has marble portrait roundels of bust in profile bordered by a serpent clasping its own tail on E and W faces; primary inscription on E face, further inscription plaques N and S. Above is a triglyph frieze and overhanging moulded cornice, the soffit panelled with a disc design, surmounted at each end by achievements ending in deep scrolls. An engraved stone crest of 1697 not fully legible presumably associated with the Holfords leans against the S face.
Listed as an unusual and striking Neoclassical churchyard monument, of substantial historical interest to the area.
Group value with the Church of St Ffraed, the Vaughan monument and Llansantffraed House.
Other nearby listed buildings