History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former boathouse to W of Storehouse Bridge

A Grade II Listed Building in Talybont-on-Usk, Powys

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9234 / 51°55'24"N

Longitude: -3.3323 / 3°19'56"W

OS Eastings: 308479

OS Northings: 225827

OS Grid: SO084258

Mapcode National: GBR YR.NXSH

Mapcode Global: VH6C0.6X7D

Entry Name: Former boathouse to W of Storehouse Bridge

Listing Date: 17 December 1998

Last Amended: 17 December 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 21146

Building Class: Transport

Location: Situated just W of Storehouse Bridge (Canal Bridge No.158) between the Storehouse and the Canal.

County: Powys

Community: Talybont-on-Usk (Tal-y-bont ar Wysg)

Community: Talybont-on-Usk

Locality: Llanfrynach

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Find accommodation in
Brecon

History

The Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal was promoted in 1792 to connect the upper Usk valley with the Monmouthshire Canal at Pontymoile and from there to the sea at Newport. First section, between Gilwern and Talybont, was cut between 1797 and 1799, with upper section between Talybont and Brecon opened in 1800, both sections engineered by Thomas Dadford. Lower section between Gilwern and Pontymoile completed 1812 and engineered by William Crosley. Linked to tramroads, the canal was an important artery for trade in iron, lime and coal. In 1865 the Brecknock and Abergavenny and the Monmouthshire Canals merged to become the Monmouthsire and Brecon Canal which was later incorporated into the Great Western railway. This stretch of the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal was constructed c 1800. The boathouse built over a small inlet of the canal provided a maintenance workshop. The two buildings shown as now on Tithe of 1841. Converted into dwelling with forge added C20. The adjacent storehouse was reputedly built mainly to store fleeces.

Exterior

Small rectangular building entered at first floor level from lane, lower storey faces onto canal. Of stone rubble with tooled dressings, roof of large Welsh slates and overhanging eaves; end stack right. Gothick shaped window openings to first floor with replaced glazing. Gable end facing canal has wide segmental canal arch and large window above under wide hoodmould. C20 porch added to front entrance and corrugated iron forge to rear.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its special interest as a surviving Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal building of uncommon type.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.