This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8898 / 51°53'23"N
Longitude: -3.2622 / 3°15'43"W
OS Eastings: 313235
OS Northings: 222003
OS Grid: SO132220
Mapcode National: GBR YV.R3GY
Mapcode Global: VH6C7.DRSN
Entry Name: Buckland Farmhouse
Listing Date: 17 December 1998
Last Amended: 17 December 1998
Source ID: 21179
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The farm complex stands E of the lane leading from the main Brecon Abergavenny Road, N of Buckland and near the main park entrance.
Community: Talybont-on-Usk (Tal-y-bont ar Wysg)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Farmhouse is C16-C17 in origin, remodelled later, particularly mid to later C19 as part of a model farm development. Previously called Wern y Berllan and appears as such and T- shaped on Tithe map of 1841, together with a farm range mainly to rear which pre-dates the expansion. OS map 1889 shows development complete.
Buckland House later Hall nearby was first recorded as a Jacobean mansion c 1600 and was rebuilt for Roderick Gwynne c 1775. From mid C19 until its sale in 1935 Buckland was the property of the Gwynne Holford family. The house was rebuilt following a fire in 1898.
Farmhouse of stone rubble with some stone dressings; Welsh slate roof and stone ridge and end stacks -external to left- with shallow cornice. Two storeys and attic; 4 window range of 3/6 pane boxed sashes to first floor with voussoirs and narrow sills, similar cambered arched windows with voussoirs to ground floor and centre right chamfered arched doorway with replaced door. Signs of blocked features and rebuilding in masonry - end right has large quoins to lower courses. Stepped down to left a single storey outshut. Catslide roof to rear over added outshut, chamfered angle to wall. Extending from front a terraced garden wall with further walls bordering the front path.
Former cross passage plan, with former kitchen to right. Walls thick and battered. Two former rooms left now knocked into one have reeded beams; stairs beside remodelled fireplace. Stepped up to left is the present kitchen. Former dairy to rear; access to cellar through stone arched doorway.
Included as an integral part of the especially well-preserved historic farm complex at Buckland.
Group value with other listed farm buildings at Buckland Farm.
Other nearby listed buildings