This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8901 / 51°53'24"N
Longitude: -3.2616 / 3°15'41"W
OS Eastings: 313275
OS Northings: 222034
OS Grid: SO132220
Mapcode National: GBR YV.R3M6
Mapcode Global: VH6C7.FR2F
Entry Name: Cartshed and workshop at Buckland Farm
Listing Date: 17 December 1998
Last Amended: 17 December 1998
Source ID: 21183
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: To the rear of Buckland farmhouse on the N side. Buckland Farm is situated near the main park entrance to N of the house.
Community: Talybont-on-Usk (Tal-y-bont ar Wysg)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Mid to late C19, part of the model farm development. Reputedly a wheelwright's repair workshop for the carts from Buckland House.
The farmhouse is C16-C17 in origin, remodelled later, particularly mid to later C19 as part of a model farm development. Previously called Wern y Berllan and appears as such and T- shaped on Tithe map of 1841, together with a farm range mainly to rear which pre-dates the expansion. OS map 1889 shows development complete. Buckland House later Hall nearby was first recorded as a Jacobean mansion c 1600 and was rebuilt for Roderick Gwynne c 1775. From mid C19 until its sale in 1935 Buckland was the property of the Gwynne Holford family. The house was rebuilt following a fire in 1898.
A long narrow building of stone rubble with dressed stone dressings and Welsh slate roof. To right a 3 bay cart shed range, the bays divided by slender stone piers; to left the workshop with full height double boarded doors and adjacent multipane window; loft opening in gable end left, with long sloping roof of the low 2 bay outshut below which is also divided by a stone pier.
Included for group value as an integral part of the especially well-preserved historic farm complex at Buckland.
Other nearby listed buildings