This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8897 / 51°53'22"N
Longitude: -3.2618 / 3°15'42"W
OS Eastings: 313257
OS Northings: 221986
OS Grid: SO132219
Mapcode National: GBR YV.R3K5
Mapcode Global: VH6C7.DRYR
Entry Name: Feedmill at Buckland Farm
Listing Date: 17 December 1998
Last Amended: 17 December 1998
Source ID: 21184
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: The SE range of the farm complex, bordered to rear by millstream, fronting the courtyard opposite the barn, with cowbyre range attached W. Buckland Farm is situated near the main park entrance to N o
Community: Talybont-on-Usk (Tal-y-bont ar Wysg)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Part of the mid to later C19 development and expansion at Buckland Farm, though variations in masonry on main gable end frontage suggest present building was a remodelling of an earlier one, involving raising the roof substantially.
The farmhouse is C16-C17 in origin, remodelled later, particularly mid to later C19 as part of a model farm development. Previously called Wern y Berllan and appears as such and T- shaped on Tithe map of 1841, together with a farm range mainly to rear which pre-dates the expansion. OS map 1889 shows development complete. Buckland House later Hall nearby was first recorded as a Jacobean mansion c 1600 and was rebuilt for Roderick Gwynne c 1775. From mid C19 until its sale in 1935 Buckland was the property of the Gwynne Holford family. The house was rebuilt following a fire in 1898.
Gable end frontage facing into courtyard has a single wide elliptical arched ground floor doorway with arched double boarded doors; above a large rectangular boarded loft opening. On the far side the building is completely overgrown, the overshot millwheel still in situ.
Retains machinery for processing root feedstuff at ground level with loft above.
Included for group value as an integral part of this especially well preserved historic farm complex at Buckland.
Other nearby listed buildings