This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8896 / 51°53'22"N
Longitude: -3.2623 / 3°15'44"W
OS Eastings: 313225
OS Northings: 221976
OS Grid: SO132219
Mapcode National: GBR YV.R3FX
Mapcode Global: VH6C7.DRQT
Entry Name: Byre range and dairy at Buckland Farm
Listing Date: 17 December 1998
Last Amended: 17 December 1998
Source ID: 21185
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Extending W from the feedmill and forming the S boundary of the farm complex, the W end parallel with the wagon house and terraced garden wall. Buckland Farm is situated near the main park entrance t
Community: Talybont-on-Usk (Tal-y-bont ar Wysg)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Part of the mid to late C19 expansion of the farmyard at Buckland Farm. It originally appears to have had a double pile roof of different heights which was later replaced by a single span arched roof of corrugated iron, the end walls raised and a loft inserted.
The farmhouse is C16-C17 in origin, remodelled later, particularly mid to later C19 as part of a model farm development. Previously called Wern y Berllan and appears as such and T- shaped on Tithe map of 1841, together with a farm range mainly to rear which pre-dates the expansion. OS map 1889 shows development complete. Buckland House later Hall nearby was first recorded as a Jacobean mansion c 1600 and was rebuilt for Roderick Gwynne c 1775. From mid C19 until its sale in 1935 Buckland was the property of the Gwynne Holford family. The house was rebuilt following a fire in 1898.
A long rectangular building built of stone rubble with tooled stone dressings. Main frontage facing farmyard has 3 doorways and 5 windows, all cambered arched under shaped single stone lintels, tooled surrounds, sills and quoins; boarded stable doors and multipane Breconshire hoppers to windows partially surviving; an apron of stable flooring. Similar hoppers and doorways on outward facing side. Gable end facing lane has earlier roof pitches visible, now with 2 similar cambered headed hoppers to ground floor and pitching door above.
Interior is divided down former valley line of double pile roof by a limewashed elliptical arched arcade, with stalls on each side, many of the wooden stall divisions and manger racks still in situ, feed passage running between. Loft above stored and transfered feedstuff from adjacent mill. Roof of higher range is vaulted and of large limewashed bricks and has small ridge ventilation holes.
Included for group value as an integral part of the especially well-preserved historic farm complex at Buckland.
Other nearby listed buildings