History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gate Piers to Service Court and Attached Walls at Merthyr Mawr House

A Grade II Listed Building in Merthyr Mawr, Bridgend

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4898 / 51°29'23"N

Longitude: -3.6017 / 3°36'6"W

OS Eastings: 288893

OS Northings: 177972

OS Grid: SS888779

Mapcode National: GBR HC.K8S2

Mapcode Global: VH5HJ.JT9B

Entry Name: Gate Piers to Service Court and Attached Walls at Merthyr Mawr House

Listing Date: 29 January 1999

Last Amended: 29 January 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 21234

Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces

Location: On N side of service court and continuing on N and W sides of service block.

County: Bridgend

Community: Merthyr Mawr

Community: Merthyr Mawr

Locality: Merthyr Mawr House

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Bridgend

History

Sir John Nicholl purchased the Merthyr Mawr Estate in 1804 and planned a new country residence away from the old manor house, Merthyr Mawr Hall (now the site of Home Farm). A new site was chosen below Chapel Hill which overlooks the Ogmore valley. In 1806 Henry Wood was engaged as architect and conceived a new house with attached offices and a stable, drawings for which were much modified by Nicholl. The wall of the service court was added in the later C19 after the servant's wing which it encloses was built in the 1850s.

Exterior

Gate piers to the service court are of ashlar with 2-tier pyramidal caps. On the R (W) side of the piers is a 6-bay wall of tooled snecked stone with 2-tier ramped coping and shallow buttresses, which has narrow fixed windows lighting a covered passage at the rear of the service wing. The wall returns to S on the W side of the service wing with coursed masonry, 2 further windows, and terminates in a square pier. On the L (E) side the gate piers the wall has a single shallow buttress, then continues as rear wall of a vehicle shed and workshop (see item 11388).

Reasons for Listing

Included for group value with Merthyr Mawr House and other associated listed items.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.