History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Vehicle store and workshops at Merthyr Mawr House

A Grade II Listed Building in Merthyr Mawr, Bridgend

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4898 / 51°29'23"N

Longitude: -3.6016 / 3°36'5"W

OS Eastings: 288901

OS Northings: 177972

OS Grid: SS889779

Mapcode National: GBR HC.K8T5

Mapcode Global: VH5HJ.JTBB

Entry Name: Vehicle store and workshops at Merthyr Mawr House

Listing Date: 29 January 1999

Last Amended: 29 January 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 21249

Building Class: Transport

Location: On the E side of the house and on the N side of the service yard.

County: Bridgend

Community: Merthyr Mawr

Community: Merthyr Mawr

Locality: Merthyr Mawr House

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Bridgend

History

Sir John Nicholl purchased the Merthyr Mawr Estate in 1804 and planned a new country residence away from the old manor house, Merthyr Mawr Hall (now the site of Home Farm). A new site was chosen below Chapel Hill which overlooks the Ogmore valley, and the house, with a service range and stables ranged around a yard, were constructed 1806-9. Additions were made to the service range in the 1850s, and the vehicle shed was added by 1899, replacing an earlier small building shown on the same site in 1878.

Exterior

A vehicle shed roughly square in plan, with 2 lower wings, one behind the other, on its L side. Of coursed tooled stone and slate roofs. The vehicle shed and rear wing roofs are hipped, the front wing gabled. The vehicle shed has double sliding boarded doors to the front. Its R side wall is rubble stone. The front wing has a full-height boarded door to the front. The rear wing is wider, has a full-height opening to L and a stack (overgrown) to the rear. The rear wall is of snecked stone with shallow buttresses and forms part of the boundary wall (see item 11371).

Interior

Not inspected at the time of survey (May 1998).

Reasons for Listing

Included for group value with Merthyr Mawr House and other associated listed items.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.