History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gate, Gatepiers and Gate Posts at the entrance to Merthyr Mawr House

A Grade II Listed Building in Merthyr Mawr, Bridgend

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4931 / 51°29'35"N

Longitude: -3.6004 / 3°36'1"W

OS Eastings: 288988

OS Northings: 178342

OS Grid: SS889783

Mapcode National: GBR HC.K334

Mapcode Global: VH5HJ.JQYR

Entry Name: Gate, Gatepiers and Gate Posts at the entrance to Merthyr Mawr House

Listing Date: 29 January 1999

Last Amended: 29 January 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 21250

Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces

Location: Adjacent to New Inn Lodge and set back from the S side of New Inn Road at the entrance to Merthyr Mawr House. Approximately 400m NNE of the house.

County: Bridgend

Community: Merthyr Mawr

Community: Merthyr Mawr

Locality: Merthyr Mawr House

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Bridgend

History

Sir John Nicholl purchased the Merthyr Mawr Estate in 1804 and planned a new country residence away from the old manor house, Merthyr Mawr Hall (now the site of Home Farm). A new site was chosen below Chapel Hill which overlooks the Ogmore valley, where Merthyr Mawr House was built 1806-9. The original road to Merthyr Mawr village was appropriated by Nicholl as the drive to the new house, at the entrance to which New Inn Lodge had been built by 1813.

The stone gate piers were probably added mid C19, and are probably contemporary with the similar piers at West Lodge, the drive from which was added in the period 1843-78. The gate was brought to Merthyr Mawr after being salvaged from one of Thomas Telford's road-building projects, probably the Bristol to Milford Haven mail route, where work was undertaken from 1824. The design was produced specifically for the toll gates on Telford's Holyhead Road c1815-30, and was subsequently used on his other road-building projects.

Exterior

A 'Telford' style gate painted white, with wrought-iron bars emanating from the hinges in a sunburst fashion. The round cast iron posts have ball finials. Flanking the iron piers are square piers of coursed, tooled stone with swept pyramidal caps.

Reasons for Listing

Included for its distinctive style, and for group value with other associated listed items connected with Merthyr Mawr House.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.