History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Greenhouse attached to Kitchen Garden at Merthyr Mawr House

A Grade II Listed Building in Merthyr Mawr, Bridgend

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4897 / 51°29'22"N

Longitude: -3.6007 / 3°36'2"W

OS Eastings: 288959

OS Northings: 177966

OS Grid: SS889779

Mapcode National: GBR HC.K911

Mapcode Global: VH5HJ.JTSC

Entry Name: Greenhouse attached to Kitchen Garden at Merthyr Mawr House

Listing Date: 29 January 1999

Last Amended: 29 January 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 21253

Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces

Location: Attached to S side of Kitchen Garden, which is on the E side of the stable block and the main house.

County: Bridgend

Community: Merthyr Mawr

Community: Merthyr Mawr

Locality: Merthyr Mawr House

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Bridgend

History

Sir John Nicholl purchased the Merthyr Mawr Estate in 1804 and planned a new country residence away from the old manor house, Merthyr Mawr Hall (now the site of Home Farm). A new site was chosen below Chapel Hill which overlooks the Ogmore valley. The house was built in the period 1806-9 and the park and gardens laid out later, with a garden on the S and W of the house, a kitchen garden to the E and wooded pleasure grounds to the N on Chapel Hill and to the SW.

The kitchen garden was begun in the period 1806-9 but was probably not completed until after the house. The greenhouse was added against its S wall in 1900 and was made by Skinner Board & Co of Bristol.

Exterior

Built against the S wall of the Kitchen Garden, and on a sloping site with a brick plinth which has vine arches. An asymmetrical gable is formed of curved cast iron trusses and curved glass. At the lower (E) end are brick steps abutting the plinth leading to a half-lit boarded door.

Interior

The interior retains original fittings. A door leads through to the kitchen garden inserted 1900 under a segmental head.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a well-preserved component of the house and gardens at Merthyr Mawr House.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.