This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8145 / 51°48'52"N
Longitude: -4.1296 / 4°7'46"W
OS Eastings: 253297
OS Northings: 215017
OS Grid: SN532150
Mapcode National: GBR DP.WY1W
Mapcode Global: VH4J7.CNPC
Entry Name: Roadside Limekiln at Castle Quarry
Listing Date: 5 February 1999
Last Amended: 5 February 1999
Source ID: 21299
Building Class: Industrial
Location: 2km north of Drefach village and 500m south-east of Maes-y-mwnwns farm. Castle Quarry is to the south side of a minor road east from the B4310. This kiln stands at the roadside.
Community: Gorslas (Gors-las)
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
A kiln probably of the early C19. Quarrying here is believed to have started in c.1600. In 1847 the 'limerock' is recorded as the property of E H Adams, the tenant being Hannah Jones. It was probably then being quarried in association with Maes-y-mwnwns farm, as it was more recently, and is said to have operated as a quarry until about 1940. This kiln is marked, apparently as in use, on the 1905 map. It is smaller and probably earlier than the south-east kiln in this listed set.
A roadside kiln of about 7m in diameter and about 4m in height, of rubble limestone. It is built out from the higher ground. A path from the road gave access to the top. Two access archways nearly opposite to each other, both angled towards the road. The archways have corbelled vaults of about 2.5m span in neat rubble stonework, brought to a shallow point. The working openings to the foot of the kiln are not visible.
The top is overgrown but the depression in the surface indicates a kiln internal diameter of about 3m at top.
Listed as one of a set of surviving kilns in one quarry location, suggesting a typological series, and representative of an industry of local importance.
Other nearby listed buildings