History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Limekiln at the south-west of Castle Quarry

A Grade II Listed Building in Gorslas, Carmarthenshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8138 / 51°48'49"N

Longitude: -4.1288 / 4°7'43"W

OS Eastings: 253348

OS Northings: 214941

OS Grid: SN533149

Mapcode National: GBR DP.WY8K

Mapcode Global: VH4J7.DN3W

Entry Name: Limekiln at the south-west of Castle Quarry

Listing Date: 5 February 1999

Last Amended: 5 February 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 21301

Building Class: Industrial

Location: 2km north of Drefach village and 500m SE of Maes-y-mwnwns farm. Castle Quarry is to the south side of a minor road east from the B4310. This kiln stands at the south-west of the quarried area.

County: Carmarthenshire

Town: Llanelli

Community: Gorslas

Locality: Garn-fawr

Traditional County: Carmarthenshire

Find accommodation in
Cwm-Mawr Station

History

Quarrying here is believed to have started in c.1600. In 1847 the 'limerock' is recorded as the property of E H Adams, the tenant being Hannah Jones. It was probably then quarried in association with Maes-y-mwnwns farm, as it was more recently, and is said to have operated as a quarry until about 1940. This kiln is probably of the early C20. It is not marked on the 1905 map. It is evidently later than a nearby ruined (and unlisted) kiln, a road to which (from Garn-fawr farm) was extended to reach this one. There may therefore have been an association with Garn-fawr farm also. This kiln provides a typological contrast to the other two listed kilns in this quarry.

Exterior

A kiln sited remotely from the road, in uncoursed limestone rubble; the front is straight, with two working archways side by side, separated by a pier of stonework less than a metre in width. It is built out from the higher ground. Sunken cartway to the front between high banks. The access archways are about 3m long with neat semicircular vaults of about 2.5m span in rubble stonework. Low working openings angled inwards, to enter the kiln about 90 degrees apart.

Interior

The top is overgrown but the depression indicates a kiln of about 4m internal diameter at the top.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as one of a set of surviving kilns in one quarry location, suggesting a typological series, and representative of an industry of local importance.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.