This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.596 / 51°35'45"N
Longitude: -3.1375 / 3°8'14"W
OS Eastings: 321304
OS Northings: 189181
OS Grid: ST213891
Mapcode National: GBR HZ.BRHW
Mapcode Global: VH6DV.K4PW
Entry Name: War Memorial within Railed Enclosure
Listing Date: 8 February 1999
Last Amended: 8 February 1999
Source ID: 21305
Building Class: Commemorative
Location: Located off the N side of Commercial Road at the bottom of a grassed slope which rises up to the churchyard of St John's Church.
Community: Bedwas, Trethomas and Machen (Bedwas, Tretomos a Machen)
Community: Bedwas, Trethomas and Machen
Built-Up Area: Machen
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Erected to commemorate those who fell in the Great War (1914-18). An additional inscription records those who died in World War II (1939-45).
War memorial in the form of a ring-headed Celtic cross. Tapering shaft and cross of white marble with black inclusions in a rough finish. The arms of the cross have interlaced circles in relief. The shaft is supported on a rectangular base with chamfered upper edges. The front bears the inscription 'To the glory of God / and in honoured memory of the men of this parish / who fell in the Great War 1914 - 18'. The men are listed below. Those who died in World War II are listed on the E face of the base. The base is supported on a 3-tier rectangular plinth comprising wide steps and constructed of the same marble.
The monument is located within an enclosure of low red brick walls with chamfered copings, which support iron railings. These have plain widely-spaced uprights, and 3 horizontal rails. The lower tier contains circles. The front wall of the enclosure is concave in plan, and contains the entrance, which is approached by splayed steps. Double iron gates, similar in style to the railings, but with dog rails to the base.
Listed as a commemorative monument of historic interest, in a prominent position close to the church.
Other nearby listed buildings