This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6648 / 51°39'53"N
Longitude: -3.304 / 3°18'14"W
OS Eastings: 309909
OS Northings: 197028
OS Grid: ST099970
Mapcode National: GBR HR.6CNH
Mapcode Global: VH6DC.PF53
Entry Name: Tabernacle Independent Chapel.
Listing Date: 8 February 1999
Last Amended: 20 February 2003
Source ID: 21315
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: In centre of Treharris, opposite Bethel Chapel, on rise overlooking valley. Iron rails along side and stone gate piers at upper end, into forecourt.
County: Merthyr Tydfil
Town: Merthyr Tydfil
Built-Up Area: Treharris
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Independent Chapel of 1883, rebuilt 1893.
Chapel, unpainted stucco with concrete roof tiles. Plain 2-storey gable front with date plaque in plain pedimental gable, possibly simplified at verges in C20. First floor divided into 5 unequal bays by pilasters with cornice over and pediment echoing gable line over broad centre bay. Outer bays are narrow and blank, then next bays inwards have sash in architrave, marginal glazing bars. Centre stepped arched triplet, the centre light larger, all with marginal glazing bars. Heavy moulded course below pilasters. Ground floor has rusticated quoins, similar sashes each side, and centre cambered headed doorway in moulded surround with keystone. Double doors and overlight. Two storey three-window rendered side walls.
Large-scaled interior with deep raked galleries on 3 sides. Galleries have canted angles, ornate panelled fronts on 7 cast-iron columns with florid caps. Cornice under panelled front which has pairs of horizontal panels divided by broad piers with paired Gothic panels. Horizontal panels have heavily moulded frames and inset panels with rebated upper angles. Centre clock between 2 piers. Moulded top cornice broken forward over piers, and end also has balustraded hand-rail with heavy ball-finial newels. Panelled pews, raked in gallery, set each side of 2 aisles below, with some inward-facing pews each side of pulpit. Panelled 3-sided great seat with heavily moulded rail. Pulpit with steps up each side, turned balusters and newels with finials. Broad panelled pulpit front, the pulpit stepped forward, and all with arched panels in contrasting grains. Pulpit back of exceptional size in classical style, lower part possibly earlier than upper, which may have been added as a war memorial after 1918. Three tiers, lowest horizontally panelled between panelled outer piers, second tier slightly less high with outer piers and inner long horizontal panel between 2 vertical panels, the long panel with centre roundel. Cornice over and very large top piece with blank arcade of 4 panels with column shafts and moulded arches under overall curved pediment with gold painted text. Lobby with half-glazed doors with stained glass panels, each side of broad traceried window with coloured glass margins. Ceiling with moulded cornice and deep coved border, cornice rounded at angles. Main part of ceiling plain, replaced in C20.
Included for its architectural interest as a substantial late C19 chapel with good interior furnishings.
Other nearby listed buildings