This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5979 / 51°35'52"N
Longitude: -4.0046 / 4°0'16"W
OS Eastings: 261251
OS Northings: 190687
OS Grid: SS612906
Mapcode National: GBR GX.D7SB
Mapcode Global: VH4KG.J3SD
Entry Name: Clyne Gardens Glass Houses
Listing Date: 23 February 1999
Last Amended: 29 October 1999
Source ID: 21389
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: About 200m WNW of Clyne Castle, backing onto boundary wall with Mill Lane.
Community: Mumbles (Y Mwmbwls)
Locality: Clyne Castle
Built-Up Area: Swansea
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built by William Richardson & Co of Darlington in the 1880s, for the kitchen garden at Clyne Castle. Clyne Castle had been purchased by William Graham Vivian in 1860, one of the prominent Swansea family of industrialists. Vivian extensively remodelled the house and immediate grounds. The house was subsequently inherited by Dulcie Charlotte Vivian, and then by Admiral Walker-Heneage-Vivian. On the latter's death in 1952 the Clyne Castle estate was purchased by the Borough of Swansea, which opened the former pleasure grounds in 1954 as a public park, now known as Clyne Gardens.
A row of 4 attached three-quarter span greenhouses, stepping down the slope and backing on to the red brick N wall of the former kitchen garden. Wooden-framed superstructures are on red brick bases, and have opening windows to the ridge and pivoting windows to the fronts. Half-lit panelled doors are in the end walls. Some wooden finials remain on the roof and much of the original glazing remains, as do some cast-iron gutters. The uppermost greenhouse is in poor condition, its roof having partially collapsed.
The interiors have cast iron roof brackets and retain iron cranks (inscribed with the maker's name) and shafts to operate the ventilation system. Some heating pipes remain in the lower greenhouse.
Listed as a rare surviving group of C19 greenhouses, associated with important gardens of Clyne Castle, and for group value with other associated listed items at Clyne Castle and Gardens.
Other nearby listed buildings