This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0613 / 52°3'40"N
Longitude: -3.7389 / 3°44'19"W
OS Eastings: 280885
OS Northings: 241750
OS Grid: SN808417
Mapcode National: GBR Y6.DC74
Mapcode Global: VH5DR.4GR5
Entry Name: Capel Gosen
Listing Date: 25 February 1999
Last Amended: 25 February 1999
Source ID: 21396
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated immediately S of Cynghordy viaduct. Walled forecourt with wrought iron gate.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Calvinistic Methodist chapel of 1844 with chapel house and vestry (Tawelfan) added in 1922 to designs by J O Parry of Ammanford. Founded as a branch of Salem, Cilycwm. Externally the chapel is similar to Bethel Independent Chapel, Cynghordy, of 1841.
Chapel to right, house to left in single range, unpainted roughcast with slate roof. Chapel has long centre window between two doors with gallery lights over, all arch-headed, the upper window heads at an even level. Small-paned glazing with marginal bars, matching fanlights, C20 4-panel doors. Plaque at top right Gosen Trefnyddion Calfinaidd 1844. Rear is whitewashed rubble stone with 2 long arched windows, similar in glazing to front centre window. Chapel and house have whitewashed rubble walls to graveyard and front garden.
Interior apparently of 1844 altered in late C19. Pulpit between windows on rear wall. Painted box pews with panelled backs, two aisles, simple grained great seat all of 1844. Late C19 pulpit, balustraded steps and platform, ball-finial newels. Plaster arch behind. Later C19 gallery on three sides, on 5 iron columns (3 plain, two Corinthian). Gallery front has curved angles, cove under cornice under panelled front in long horizontal panels, then simpler cornice above. Clock in roundel in centre. Painted grained panels. Boarded ceiling. Painted grained lobbies.
Included as a chapel of 1844 with attractive mainly contemporary interior. Part of a group with Tawelfan and Cynghordy viaduct.
Other nearby listed buildings