This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0811 / 52°4'51"N
Longitude: -3.7794 / 3°46'45"W
OS Eastings: 278162
OS Northings: 244020
OS Grid: SN781440
Mapcode National: GBR Y5.C15Q
Mapcode Global: VH5DJ.FYVJ
Entry Name: Ty'r Ysgol
Listing Date: 25 February 1999
Last Amended: 25 February 1999
Source ID: 21415
Building Class: Education
Location: Situated approximately 450m NE of the crossroads at the centre of Rhandirmwyn.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Former schoolroom and school-house, now house, of 1858-60, possibly built by the Cawdor estate. Windows altered 1894. The school closed in 1969. Said originally to have had iron latticed windows instead of the present timber ones.
Rubble stone with slate roofs, projected at gables. Schoolroom to left is single storey with central tall wall-face stone chimney, large window each side of 3-lights with top-lights and small panes and a similar single light close to right of chimney. Gabled porch at extreme right, in angle to schoolhouse, with pointed doorway, stone voussoirs, plank door and Gothic fanlight. Other schoolroom entry was in N end wall, plain door with stone voussoirs. Rear of schoolroom has 4 similar 3-light windows.
Former schoolhouse to S has big projecting W gable with N side wall roughcast stack. Two storeys, long 2-light windows with top-lights and small panes, stone vousoirs and stone sills. Gable has one window each floor, lower window longer, similar single-light window on S side and roughcast lean-to porch in angle to gabled S wing which has windows as in W gable. Porch is probably added, inner door is half-glazed.
Not accessible on resurvey.
Included as good example of a Victorian school and school-house.
Other nearby listed buildings