This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.109 / 52°6'32"N
Longitude: -3.7713 / 3°46'16"W
OS Eastings: 278790
OS Northings: 247107
OS Grid: SN787471
Mapcode National: GBR Y5.995Z
Mapcode Global: VH5DJ.L833
Entry Name: Nantyffin
Listing Date: 25 February 1999
Last Amended: 25 February 1999
Source ID: 21419
Building Class: Recreational
Location: Situated approximately 100m N of the Church of Saint Paulinus in the valley of the Afon Tywi, some 3.5km N of the centre of Rhandirmwyn.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Small mid C19 cottage, not marked on 1841 Tithe map. Repaired and converted as information and sales point for the RSPB Dinas bird reserve. Within is a particularly good example of the plastered lath chimney hood typical of Cardiganshire and N Carmarthenshire and the thatch is preserved under a metal-sheet roof.
Cottage, rubble stone with metal sheet roof, over surviving thatch, and C20 reconstructed wooden chimney at S end. Front wall stonework substantially rebuilt, there may have been some clay-walling originally. Small window each side of door, all with timber-lintels, the door lintel higher with small square light over, under eaves. Right window has renewed lintel, renewed door and windows. Blank end walls.
Converted into single-room shop. At S end survives the 'wicker' chimney hood, actually of plastered and whitewashed lath in a curving shape carried on centre of a full- width timber beam. C20 whitewashed stone cupboards each side of fire, built up to timber beam level. Roof has tie-beam and collar trusses, rough rafters, and bracken underthatch visible.
Included for the survival of the 'wicker' chimney-hood and as an example of the smallest upland cottages, now rare in the area.
Other nearby listed buildings