This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0791 / 52°4'44"N
Longitude: -3.7732 / 3°46'23"W
OS Eastings: 278578
OS Northings: 243785
OS Grid: SN785437
Mapcode National: GBR Y5.C2PT
Mapcode Global: VH5DQ.K03H
Entry Name: 3 Pannau Street
Listing Date: 25 February 1999
Last Amended: 25 February 1999
Source ID: 21423
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated above and approximately 150m NE of the crossroads in Rhandirmwyn village centre.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Part of a terrace of mid C19 houses presumably built for workers at the Rhandirmwyn lead-mine, on land owned by Lord Cawdor. There is some building marked on the site on the 1841 Tithe map, but not apparently this row. A map of 1858 shows a long terrace of single storey dwellings, described as 'the miners lodging houses'; perhaps the present terrace superceded this. There were originally eight houses, 2 larger each end and 4 smaller in the middle, now 6 as the middle ones have been joined as two pairs. The numbering now appears to be that No 3 includes the third and fourth, No 5 the fifth and sixth houses. No 1 was formerly the Miner's Arms inn.
Terrace of eight houses, now six. Rubble stone generally with slate roofs and seven corniced stone stacks. Two storeys, 20-window range, two double-fronted houses each end, four single-window houses in centre (these 4 now 2, numbered Nos 3 and 5). Small windows with stone voussoirs and stone sills, similar stone voussoirs to doors. Outshut rears. The original windows were probably small-paned sashes and original doors were boarded, most windows now horned 4-pane sashes of c1900. Cobbled path in front.
Formerly two mirrored cottages: window, door, door, window. One door blocked, all windows and door C20 plastic.
Included, despite the altered windows, as part of a rare example in rural Carmarthenshire of an industrial workers' terrace.
Other nearby listed buildings