This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8583 / 52°51'30"N
Longitude: -4.4941 / 4°29'38"W
OS Eastings: 232175
OS Northings: 331897
OS Grid: SH321318
Mapcode National: GBR 57.RSX7
Mapcode Global: WH44N.YF32
Entry Name: Capel Peniel, with adjoining manse and forecourt railings
Listing Date: 8 March 1999
Last Amended: 8 March 1999
Source ID: 21434
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: The chapel stands back from the road at the top of a sloping forecourt, bound on both sides by buildings.
Built-Up Area: Llanbedrog
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
The chapel was built in 1866 for the Calvinistic Methodist community of Llanbedrog.
Built of coursed rubble, with a slate roof. Wide gabled front with a slightly recessed central arch feature containing two attenuated 12-pane round-headed timber windows, the head of each containing intersecting glazing bars. Above, a circular slate panel engraved with the name 1866 / PENIEL. To either side framed and boarded doors, each with a round-headed fanlight with similar Regency Gothic detail. Projecting bargeboards fixed to 4 projecting purlins each side. The side has 5 similar round-headed windows with stressed keystones. Rendered at the rear, the windows replaced.
Attached to the right, the chapel house. Irregular rubble stonework with a slated roof. Two storeys, 3 closely spaced windows. Central part-glazed door and modern uPVC windows.
The generous-scaled gravelled forecourt slopes down from the chapel and is defined by trefoil-headed cast iron railings set on dwarf stone walls. At the lower end, 3 slender stone piers with large caps.
Plain interior, with plastered walls, a boarded dado and boarded ceiling, coved around all sides. The pulpit is set between the entrance door lobbies, within a gallery topped set fawr, and is raised over steps. The pews are set in 4 banks, each of 18 places across, with two aisles. Clock by John Edwards of Llanbedrog, 1903, and a 1914-1918 brass memorial.
Included as a mid C19 chapel designed still within the late Georgian tradition, of generous proportions, which, with its attached house, school and forecourt walls, forms a focal point in the quasi-urban development of upper Llanbedrog.
Other nearby listed buildings