This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8623 / 52°51'44"N
Longitude: -4.4832 / 4°28'59"W
OS Eastings: 232927
OS Northings: 332315
OS Grid: SH329323
Mapcode National: GBR 57.RPFZ
Mapcode Global: WH44P.3BD0
Entry Name: Penarwel
Listing Date: 8 March 1999
Last Amended: 8 March 1999
Source ID: 21437
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The house stands well back from the lane, in its own grounds, and is approached by a sinuous driveway.
Built-Up Area: Llanbedrog
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
The house was one of two built by in 1899 by John Gwenogfryn Evans in Llanbedrog. This one was probably the residence of his brother, he living in the adjacent Tremvan Hall. He was a printer and on the committee that established the National Library of Wales. The contractor was Gerald Evans, and the house cost £1500.
The house is built in a Tudor Gothic style with Gimlet granite from Pwllheli, and generally has slate roofs. Two storeys and attics, of complex plan, with the entrance front to the S, the main E front overlooking gardens to Cardigan Bay and Snowdonia, and the rear, N, front. The S front consists of three major elements, stepping forward to the W and continuing as a 2-storey service wing. The entrance is set in the middle element, a 3-storey crenellated tower, placed asymmetrically, and has a moulded timber door and label over. The principal windows are of roughly finished square section mullions, generally set flush with the walls, the labels above the only projection. Tall 3-light mullioned and transomed window above the entrance, and above, paired 2-light windows to the second floor below the parapet. Left of the entrance tower, a forward gable with modern windows, but retaining a remarkable cast iron hopper head in the form of a dragon, and a ceramic zoomorphic gable finial. Lesser gables appear on the service wing to the left. The right element of this front is a larger recessed crenellated tower with 3-light windows and it stands forward to form the left end of the garden front. Recessed 3-bay range to this elevation with similarly detailed windows and crenellated eaves parapet; the tower loosely balanced to the right by a forward gable, with similar 3-light windows to the main floors, and a further window to a lowered basement room. The N front has two gables, the rear one advanced and having a glazed raking external stair to the basement set in the angle. Simpler sash windows with plain lintels. The W side, including the service wing, retains rock-faced quoins and similar windows, but is rendered and colourwashed. Some windows on the N and W replaced.
An entrance lobby leads to the stair hall, completely panelled in oak, and with a coffered ceiling of stained timber. From here, a wide depressed arch on fluted paired pilasters opens to a square panelled reception room, also panelled and with a similar ceiling, and a fine fireplace and overmantel. From the stair hall a 6-panelled door and fanlight opens to the main drawing room. This is fully panelled and has a remarkably elaborate gilded cornice and ceiling. The half landing of the stair is lit from the large 3-light window over the door.
Included as a fine example of a small Edwardian country house, contrasting a formidable exterior set in lush gardens with a remarkably rich and lavish interior.
Other nearby listed buildings