This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9078 / 51°54'28"N
Longitude: -4.6548 / 4°39'17"W
OS Eastings: 217480
OS Northings: 226586
OS Grid: SN174265
Mapcode National: GBR D0.PS3R
Mapcode Global: VH2NN.89KS
Entry Name: Church of St Cledwyn
Listing Date: 12 March 1999
Last Amended: 10 February 2004
Source ID: 21453
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Approximately 500m W of Llanglydwen, on the E side of a drive leading to Dolwilym.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
A medieval church with an Early Christian stone in the churchyard. Although the plan is essentially medieval the architecture of the church belongs to its restoration in 1882 by E H Lingen Barker, architect.
A small church in C19 Gothic style, of rubble stone with slate roof, comprising nave with gabled bellcote and S porch, and a lower and narrower chancel with S vestry. Openings have hood moulds with foliage stops. The nave has 2 cusped lights in its S wall, to the L of which is the porch, which has an ashlar gable. The entrance to the porch is pointed with a single continuous chamfer. The vestry, under an outshut roof, has a cusped S window.
The chancel has a 2-light Decorated E window. On the N side the nave has 2 windows similar to the S and a 2-light geometrical W window, below which part of a medieval incised slab is set into the wall.
Aisless nave with C19 arch-braced roof. Simple Gothic chancel arch. The font, possibly C12, has a square bowl with cable moulding, on a round stem with modern base. Pews and choir stalls are of 1882, the pulpit C20. On the N wall are 2 oval monuments of c1790 to the Lewis and Protheroe families. The E window stained glass depicts Faith & Hope, of 1883 by Clayton & Bell. The W window depicts SS David and George, of c1901.
Listed as a simple rural church of ancient origin, with good stained glass and wall monuments, and for group value with the lych gate and the archway to Dolwilym.
Other nearby listed buildings