This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1919 / 53°11'30"N
Longitude: -3.6849 / 3°41'5"W
OS Eastings: 287528
OS Northings: 367415
OS Grid: SH875674
Mapcode National: GBR 68.2Z8K
Mapcode Global: WH65S.C1JB
Entry Name: Youth Club
Listing Date: 17 March 1999
Last Amended: 17 March 1999
Source ID: 21470
Building Class: Recreational
Location: The youth club stands below and approximately 30m SE of the Church of St Digain, on the NE side of school yard, entered from a gateway on the W side.
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Formerly the village school. There is some confusion about the early history but according to the Ven Thomas,'The National School was founded in 1827' and the school registers are extant from 1839. No building is shown on the present site on the 1840 Tithe Map and it would seem that this building was erected in 1852 by the Sandbach family of Hafodunos.
Simple Gothic Revival style village school. Long, double-height, gable-ended range aligned roughly E-W houses classroom and hall, with entrance and cloakroom in single storey gabled porch to the S. Built of rendered masonry with steeply pitched slate roofs with open eaves and slate ridges, some replaced with clayware ridge tiles. E of porch, lateral chimney built of local snecked stone, narrowing in two stages of offsets to a square shaft attached to a gabled roof, rises to a tall octagonal sandstone ashlar stack with square base set on a chamfered coping. Three and 4-light timber mullioned windows with squat ogee heads, plain tympana and low segmental pointed arches; each light divided into 6-panes. Monolithic slate sills. W gable end has 6-light timber mullioned and transomed window of similar design with small blind oculus in tympanum. The S porch doorway has a low segmental pointed arch and boarded door with ornamented iron strap hinges; to the E of the door a 6-pane single-light window with squat ogee head. Later schoolhouse adjoins E gable end.
Classroom to W; hall to E. Open rafter roof with scissor-braced trusses. Partition between classroom and hall has a segmental pointed head window at high level with 3-lights, diamond mullions, squat ogee heads and diagonal leaded glazing. Hall has fireplace in S wall. A painted wooden achievements plaque hangs on the N wall.
Included as a good and unaltered example of a C19 village school and for group value with church and schoolhouse.
Other nearby listed buildings