History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gate Piers, Gates and Palings at Hafodunos

A Grade II Listed Building in Llangernyw, Conwy

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1908 / 53°11'27"N

Longitude: -3.6912 / 3°41'28"W

OS Eastings: 287104

OS Northings: 367307

OS Grid: SH871673

Mapcode National: GBR 68.2XJP

Mapcode Global: WH65S.82K5

Entry Name: Gate Piers, Gates and Palings at Hafodunos

Listing Date: 17 March 1999

Last Amended: 17 March 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 21480

Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces

Location: The gate piers, gates and railings stand beside the lodge next to the main driveway to Hafodunos Hall, S of the minor road leading W from Llangernyw, approximately 1km WSW of the village centre.

County: Conwy

Town: Abergele

Community: Llangernyw

Community: Llangernyw

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Llangerniew

History

Hafodunos Hall was built between 1861-66 to the design of Sir George Gilbert Scott, (1811-78) architect, for H R Sandbach, of Liverpool. The gate piers, footway gate and wrought iron palings are probably contemporary.

Scott was amongst the most important Gothic Revival architects and a proponent of the Gothic style in domestic architecture, although he built comparatively few houses. Hafodunos is the only example of his domestic work in Wales.

Exterior

Symmetrical Gothic Revival style estate gateway with four matching sandstone piers, double gates across carriageway flanked by single gate to footpath, and adjoining railings to N. Piers have chamfered bases, monolithic square shafts with shallow setback splayed-top buttress on each face, chamfered arises with broach stops at base, and oversailing pyramidal capstones with zigzag bed moulding, enriched gablets and apex coronet. Cast iron hinge and latch components fixed to piers. Modern steel double gates to carriageway with vertical bars and inset scrollwork. C19 timber gate to N footpath divided into 3 panels with chamfered stiles, rails and muntin, and wrought iron cresting. Upper panel has timber lattice infill with ornamental chamfering; lower two panels infilled with wrought iron scrollwork. Cast iron strap hinges. Three bays of ornate wrought iron paling with scrollwork and fleur-de-lis cresting stepping up to N with stepped sandstone plinth and timber posts.

Reasons for Listing

Included as estate gates of architectural and historic interest at the main entrance to Hafodunos Hall and for group value with the adjacent lodge.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Lodge to Hafodunos Hall
    The lodge stands beside the gates to the main driveway to Hafodunos Hall, S of the minor road leading W from Llangernyw, approximately 1km WSW of the village centre.
  • II Bryn Coroniad
    The house stands on an elevated site on the N side of the minor road leading W from Llangernyw, approximately 100m W of the village centre.
  • II Sir Henry Jones Memorial Cottages and garden walls
    The cottages are located on an elevated site set back from the road on the W side of the A548, approximately 300m S of Llangernyw village centre.
  • II Pen Uchar Llan
    In the centre of Llangernyw on the S side of the minor road leading W from the village.
  • II Ivy Cottage
    In the centre of Llangernyw on the S side of the minor road leading W from the village.
  • II Siop Ucha
    In the centre of Llangernyw on the S side of the minor road leading W from the village.
  • II Lychgate to Church of St Digain
    The lychgate is situated on the W side of the churchyard, close to the centre of Llangernyw village.
  • II Raised Slab Monument to Harry Lloyd in churchyard of Church of St Digain
    In th SW section of the churchyard, adjacent to the S wall of the church vestry.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.