This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.206 / 53°12'21"N
Longitude: -3.6972 / 3°41'49"W
OS Eastings: 286741
OS Northings: 369005
OS Grid: SH867690
Mapcode National: GBR 68.22D6
Mapcode Global: WH65L.5PP2
Entry Name: Capel Cefn Coch, Chapel House and Railings
Listing Date: 17 March 1999
Last Amended: 17 March 1999
Source ID: 21483
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: The chapel is set gable end to the N side of the minor road between Pentre Isaf and Gell, approximately 1.75km NNW of Llangernyw village centre. The chapel house, also set gable end to road, stands t
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Nonconformity reached the Llangernyw district in about 1780 when preaching began at a farm called Ffrith Bach. The meetings then moved to Ty'n y Pistyll and the Calvinistic Methodist chapel at Cefn Coch was built in 1796.
Simple domestic scale Vernacular chapel, rectangular on plan with adjacent 2-storey chapel house to E and linking block to N. Built of local stone rubble with slobbered mortar; S and W elevations of chapel and house hung with Welsh slates. Gabled Welsh slate roofs with plain chamfered timber barge boards. House has brick chimney stacks above gables. Block linking house to chapel has corrugated steel roof. Chapel has symmetrical S gable end, facing road, with central pair of 12/12 hornless sash windows; W elevation has similar window in centre. N gable end has single central 15/15 sash window. Windows have hornless sashes, narrow glazing bars and retain much of the original handmade glass. Gabled entrance porch in E elevation, facing back of house, built of squared stone rubble; slate roof with moulded and scalloped bargeboards and decorated apex finial. Double 4-panel doors and fanlight in opening with 2-centred pointed arch. Symmetrical front elevation of house, facing E, has 3-bays of windows and a central side entry porch. Cast iron railings set into stone plinth at roadside have elaborate spearhead finials, matching double gates and cast iron gateposts.
Plain plastered interior with circular ventilator in centre of ceiling. Polished or varnished pine furnishings. Boarded floor slopes gently down from N to simply carved pulpit. Gated pews with panelled backs.
Included as an early and well proportioned nonconformist chapel and chapel house retaining distinctive slate-hung elevations. Chapel has been little altered since its erection in 1796.
Other nearby listed buildings