This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.182 / 53°10'55"N
Longitude: -3.6817 / 3°40'54"W
OS Eastings: 287715
OS Northings: 366307
OS Grid: SH877663
Mapcode National: GBR 69.3D58
Mapcode Global: WH65S.F81Z
Entry Name: Hendre Ddu
Listing Date: 17 March 1999
Last Amended: 17 March 1999
Source ID: 21487
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Hendre Ddu stands to the N of a minor road 20m E of the A548, approximately 1.25km S of Llangernyw village centre.
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Probably built earlier in the C19, the farmhouse appears on the 1840 Tithe Map in the ownership of Sandbach of Hafodunos.
Large two storey L- plan farmhouse. Built of local stone random rubble with larger rubble quoins. Welsh slate gabled roofs with oversailing eaves and verges with exposed rafters and purlin-ends. Brick gable and ridge stacks with oversailing courses. Symmetrical slate hung front elevation, facing S, has three bays of 8/8 sash windows; first floor windows in gabled half-dormers. Central porch of stone rubble has 18-pane window with stone lintel and sill in gable end and side entrance to E with gothic arch and 8 pane part-glazed door. E elevation has scattered fenestration with 8/8 sash windows, one 24-pane cast iron window and boarded door all with cambered brick arches and stone sills. Rear elevation has one bay of 24-pane cast iron window with cambered brick arches to left. To right, 8/8 sash window with stone lintel and sill to ground floor and 4-pane casement window to first floor. Rear wing has rendered gable wall to N; 3-bays of 8/8 sash windows with cambered brick arches and stone sills in W elevation.
Interior not accessible for inspection at time of resurvey.
Included as example of unaltered large early C19 farmhouse, part of an improved farmstead owned by the Hafodunos estate, and group value with coeval farm ranges.
Other nearby listed buildings