History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Hall's tramroad and railway tunnel E portal

A Grade II Listed Building in Pontllan-fraith, Caerphilly

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6605 / 51°39'37"N

Longitude: -3.161 / 3°9'39"W

OS Eastings: 319791

OS Northings: 196386

OS Grid: ST197963

Mapcode National: GBR HY.6RLQ

Mapcode Global: VH6DG.5J8D

Entry Name: Former Hall's tramroad and railway tunnel E portal

Listing Date: 17 March 1999

Last Amended: 17 March 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 21502

Building Class: Transport

Location: On the W side of the community, in a deep cutting which runs S of the main thoroughfare; a bridge carries the road across the portal.

County: Caerphilly

Community: Newbridge (Trecelyn)

Community: Newbridge

Locality: Pentwyn-mawr

Built-Up Area: Pontllan-fraith

Traditional County: Monmouthshire

Find accommodation in
Abercarn

History

Sir Benjamin Hall, the industrialist (1802-1867), built a tramroad in 1814 to transport coal from collieries in the Sirhowy Valley to the tramroad and canal system of the Ebbw Valley leading S to Newport. It linked the Western Valley Tramroad with Manmoel in the Sirhowy Valley and thus was one of the few early cross-country E/W lines. Benjamin Hall was the son-in-law of Richard Crawshay of Cyfarthfa Ironworks who bought the Abercarn Estate for him on his marriage. His son, also Benjamin Hall, became the First Commissioner of Estates to Queen Victoria and gave his name to Big Ben; he became Lord Llanover following his marriage to Lady Llanover. The tramroad, known as Hall's Road and appearing thus on Tithe Map 1846, was laid with edge rails to standard gauge by 1860. It crossed the GWR Aberdare extension of 1857 at Pennar junction W of the tunnel; the lane just to N of the railway in this area is called Hall's Road and a group of nearby early-mid C19 cottages now altered is named Tunnel Row. This portal probably dates from the mid C19 upgrading, whereas the bridge to NW listed in Penmaen Community appears to date from the original construction of 1814.

Exterior

Tunnel portal, the wall of snecked rockfaced stone with flat stone coping and the portal a round arch with three courses of red and blue brick headers, tooled arises to the jambs. Gated.

Reasons for Listing

Included as an intact disused tunnel portal for its important historical connections with the early tramroad built by Sir Benjamin Hall; group value with the W portal.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.