This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.943 / 52°56'34"N
Longitude: -4.1628 / 4°9'46"W
OS Eastings: 254761
OS Northings: 340586
OS Grid: SH547405
Mapcode National: GBR 5N.LP7Z
Mapcode Global: WH55L.09Z6
Entry Name: Bwlch-y-fedwen
Listing Date: 30 March 1999
Last Amended: 20 December 1999
Source ID: 21534
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The house is in the middle of the village, set at right angles to the Tremadoc to Pwlleli Road.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
The present house has the character of an early C19 village farmhouse (its former farm-buildings still survive), but the building has early origins: its rear wing includes one bay of what may have been a late C16 or C17 house (there is the date 1664 on a beam, but constructional detail suggests an earlier building date). This earlier building was oriented E-W (to the present road-line), and it is likely that it originally extended further E, to be encapsulated in, or replaced by, the house of c1820 oriented N-S. The house was in use as an inn until c1924, and remained in use as a farm until c1970. Extensions to the NW relate to its subsequent use as a small hotel.
A large village farmhouse; 2 storeys with 4-bay entrance front facing E over present driveway and 2 storeyed rear wing with stepped-down roof-line indicating 2 phases of construction. Pebbledashed with slate roof, deeply overhung at eaves, and with gable end stacks and axial and end-wall stacks to rear wing. Entrance in 2nd bay from left: a 4-panelled door with decorative overlight. 16-pane sash windows to the ground floor, 12-pane to first floor. Gable end to street has one blind opening to upper floor. Rear range has blocked doorway to left and tripartite 8-pane sash window beyond, with 2x12-pane sashes to first floor. Lower continuation of this range beyond has blind wall to street.
The rear wing represents the core of a sub-medieval house, of which one bay survives: this is unequally divided by a substantial chamfered cross beam carrying the date of 1664, and supporting broad joists. There is a similar beam against the fireplace wall, and the chimney breast has heavy stop-chamfered bressumer. Position of former doorway marked by alcove away from stack and aligned with a survivingdoorway (with C18 2-panelled door) in the original rear wall suggests that this room represents the hall of a submedieval house of which no other fabric is visible. The interior of the present main range has detail consistent with a rebuilding dart of c1820 (including a simple spindle staircase); oddly asymmetrical interior division (comprising one very large and one small room flanking the stair hall). Detail in continuation of rear range (beyond stack) suggests that this too is a later addition.
Included as a well-preserved village farmhouse of early C19 character retaining original detail, and with significant surviving elements of a considerably early house.
Other nearby listed buildings