This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9787 / 52°58'43"N
Longitude: -4.2406 / 4°14'26"W
OS Eastings: 249662
OS Northings: 344723
OS Grid: SH496447
Mapcode National: GBR 5K.J8D0
Mapcode Global: WH446.TDV9
Entry Name: Tan-y-braich, with attached farm buildings
Listing Date: 30 March 1999
Last Amended: 30 March 1999
Source ID: 21545
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The house and farm group stand on the NNE side of the trackway to Garreg-llwyd, in Garndolbenmaen settlement.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
The encroachment into the open common mountain land N and E of Garndolbenmaen took place initially in the last decade of the C16, but general squatting increased in the late C18 - some 40 or more dwellings had been built by 1810. Each separate delling had approximately 1-2 acres (0.405-0.809ha) of land for cultivation and the settlement became an important centre for Methodist and Baptist evangelism. In 1814, to regularise the situation, an auction of squatter tenancies took place, with a second sale in 1819. The settlement was largely established by the Tithe apportionment and map of 1838. Tan-y-braich is a good example of the later and more substantial type of dwelling of the late C18 or early C19.
Built together with its attached farm buildings of locally obtained stone rubble and partially rendered with mortar spread. Slate roof. Two storeys, 2 bays, comprising a general living room, a parlour and back pantry, extended by a lean-to at the rear. The house is extended in line to the W with various farm buildings, partially collapsed, and at right angles to the S front, a 2-bay building forming the E side of the small stone-walled front garden, which has a well and iron pump. Approximately central boarded door, and simple narrow 4-paned sash windows with stone sills to both floors.
The front door opens to the main living room which has a stone floor, a large gable end stack with interior oven and a simply chamfered cross ceiling beam and exposed joists. Boarded partition to the parlour with the pantry behind. The stair has simple stick balusters and pole handrail. Boarded doors. Coved matchboarded ceilings to the first floor, the main trusses springing from low in the walls also boarded in.
Included, notwithstanding its present condition, as a good example of the later and larger farms in the encroachment area, and one of the very few farmhouses to remain unaltered; of special interest as such and for retaining its fine group of associated farm buildings which together form a good example of a typical farmstead group on a small holding.
Other nearby listed buildings