This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9227 / 52°55'21"N
Longitude: -4.2689 / 4°16'8"W
OS Eastings: 247563
OS Northings: 338556
OS Grid: SH475385
Mapcode National: GBR 5J.MTQQ
Mapcode Global: WH44D.DSFR
Entry Name: Pwllheli Gates and Gate Piers to Amgueddfa Lloyd George
Listing Date: 31 March 1999
Last Amended: 31 March 1999
Source ID: 21612
Building Class: Commemorative
Location: The Pwllheli gates form the N entrance to the museum grounds from the road running E from Pont Llanystumdwy, and directly opposite the grave of David Lloyd George.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
The gates and gatepiers were designed by Clough Williams-Ellis and donated by Pwllheli town council to the Lloyd George memorial park, being erected and opened on the 17th January 1952.
The Pwllheli gates are set in a curved re-entrant of the roadside wall. Tall gate piers constructed of squared rubble, with offsetting top courses forming a rough cornice, surmounted by a step and tall urn finials with flaming gadrooned tops. Wrought iron gates, made by the Glaslyn Foundry, Portmadoc, with side panels, and having a lock and top rail sweeping up from the monogram crest at the centre to the elephant and castle badge of the donor town. Slate plaques mounted on the outward facing side of the piers recording the dates.
Included as a handsome set of gates designed by an eminent architect as part of the national memorial to David Lloyd George.
Other nearby listed buildings