This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7964 / 51°47'46"N
Longitude: -3.3636 / 3°21'49"W
OS Eastings: 306058
OS Northings: 211737
OS Grid: SO060117
Mapcode National: GBR YQ.Y28W
Mapcode Global: VH6CR.N34Q
Entry Name: Turbine House at Pontsticill Water Treatment Works
Listing Date: 19 May 1999
Last Amended: 19 May 1999
Source ID: 21732
Building Class: Water Supply and Drainage
Location: In the Water Treatment Works ,adjacent to the Compensation Basin, under the dam below Pontsticill Reservoir and SW of the Filter House.
County: Merthyr Tydfil
Community: Vaynor (Y Faenor)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Turbine House controlled the level of water flowing over the weir. This dates from the construction of the Reservoir in 1923, a massive water engineering project involving an extensive network of piping to the urban areas of S and SE Wales, which was termed 'The Two Million Scheme'. It involved a 2 shilling (10 pence) rate on local taxes and was carried out by the Taf Fechan Water Corporation, this latter body being contributed to by each local council. Resident engineer FV Stillingfleet, and engineers Sir Alex Binnie and Deacon and Thos F Harvey. 3400 million gallons (15456 million litres) of water a day was treated, as stated on the plaque on the Compensation Basin recording its opening by Lord Buckland in 1927.
Small building of coursed occasionally snecked rock-faced sandstone with ashlar dressings, its outer side forming part of the wall of the Compensation Basin. Welsh slate roof. Round-arched doorways with heavy doors, hinges and locks at each end of inner side and multipane metal-framed round-arched windows to sides and in the gable ends, the S masked by a later addition.
Interior painted white with a stained planked ceiling. Original hydro turbine by Gilkes of Kendal is retained, though this no longer in use having been replaced by a new version. Gantry for maintenance supported by heavy corbels and valves still in place.
Included as an integral part of the original Water Treatment Works.
Group value with the Compensation Basin and the Filter House.
Other nearby listed buildings