This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8613 / 51°51'40"N
Longitude: -4.1309 / 4°7'51"W
OS Eastings: 253362
OS Northings: 220231
OS Grid: SN533202
Mapcode National: GBR DP.SXPG
Mapcode Global: VH4J1.CG0Y
Entry Name: Former Llanarthney National School
Listing Date: 19 May 1999
Last Amended: 19 May 1999
Source ID: 21740
Building Class: Education
Location: In Llanarthney village, at the road corner opposite to the Golden Grove Arms Hotel.
Community: Llanarthney (Llanarthne)
Locality: Llanarthney village
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
A National School, belonging to the Parish Church, built in 1856. It remained in use as the village primary school until superceded by the present school in 1958. It is now a parish hall.
Single-storey school building in local sandstone with slate roof. The front and the right gable are built in ashlar in graded courses, elsewhere the masonry is uncoursed and hammer-dressed. The roof has a slight projection at eaves and verges. The front elevation (towards the yard) consists of three windows, each of three lights, with a flat arch head and a Tudor label-mould. Each light is of two panes, with a four-centred head. Sandstone sills. At the left is a low-roofed later porch partly in randomly coursed ashlar, boldly projecting. It has a boarded door beneath a straight-sided pointed arch. Each gable end has a tall window of two lights with a four-centred arch and a label mould. Rendered C20 extensions at rear. One small original iron gate survives at the rear.
Listed as a mid-C19 school, retaining its original character and detailing substantially intact.
Other nearby listed buildings