This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8638 / 51°51'49"N
Longitude: -4.1308 / 4°7'51"W
OS Eastings: 253372
OS Northings: 220503
OS Grid: SN533205
Mapcode National: GBR DP.SQ11
Mapcode Global: VH4J1.CF12
Entry Name: Former Llanarthney Railway Station with single Platform
Listing Date: 19 May 1999
Last Amended: 19 May 1999
Source ID: 21741
Building Class: Transport
Location: On the now dismantled railway about 250m north of Llanarthney church. There is a detached lamp and parcel shed, dated 1892, on the same platform.
Community: Llanarthney (Llanarthne)
Locality: Llanarthney Village
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Opened in 1864 as a station on the Llanelli Railway, which initially took mainly mineral traffic. The date appears in cast-iron figures set in a beam facing the platform. The following year passengers were accepted. The railway changed its name and ownership several times: Swansea and Carmarthen Railway (1871), Central Wales and Carmarthen Junction Railway (1873), LNWR (1891), LMS (1921) and British Transport Commission (1947). Nationalised in 1962 and closed by Dr Beeching in 1964. The house has since been in occupation as a private dwelling. A footbridge over the Towy river belonging to the railway was erected near Glan Towy farm in 1876 to serve passengers from Llanegwad, and was reported partially remaining in 1983.
The platform and buildings of a small railway station, consisting of the Station Master's house with passengers' facilities to the west. Informally coursed, slightly rock-faced ashlar masonry with limestone quoins the arrisses of which are chiselled. Low-pitch hipped slate roof. The passengers' rooms are set back and the roof overhang serves as a platform shelter. The overhang is supported by a post and a wing wall. Post is dated 1864. Small roof overhang at the rear of the building also (to former waiting room portion). The passengers' rooms consist of a general waiting room adjacent to the house, a ladies' waiting room, and at the end of the building, under a catslide roof, male and female toilets. Platform with brick corbelling and bullnosed limestone edge-paving (brick with stone kerbs to rear). When inspected the buildings were in course of restoration. Original joinery partially restored. Four-panel door to the Station Master's house. Similar but semi-glazed doors to the waiting rooms. Four-pane sash windows. One chimney rebuilt.
Listed as a good example of a small country railway station with its character and detailing largely intact.
Other nearby listed buildings