This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8431 / 51°50'35"N
Longitude: -4.1471 / 4°8'49"W
OS Eastings: 252187
OS Northings: 218237
OS Grid: SN521182
Mapcode National: GBR DN.V5YZ
Mapcode Global: VH4J1.2XGY
Entry Name: Service Yard and Gateway of Middleton Hall
Listing Date: 19 May 1999
Last Amended: 19 May 1999
Source ID: 21753
Building Class: Domestic
Location: 100m north of the Great Glass House of the National Botanic Gardens. Attached to the surviving service wing of Middleton Hall.
Community: Llanarthney (Llanarthne)
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Middleton Hall was completed in 1795 for Sir William Paxton to the designs of S P Cockerell. To the north-west of the house was a service wing (now modernised and named Trawscoed) with this attached oval yard and gateway. With these exceptions the Hall was demolished in 1951.
The yard, its gateway and the stable block are planned on one axis. The yard is an oval enclosure in roughly coursed stonework, about 2 metres in height, without its original coping. The yard gateway is an imposing design in the form of a round-headed gateway with a semicircular ashlar arch, with projecting keystone, large square impost moulding and string course and projecting plinth, all set within a section of wall raised to almost double height in coursed masonry with square coping.
Listed as a structure planned integrally with the listed Stables, and a surviving unaltered fragment of the work of S P Cockerell.
Other nearby listed buildings