This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8464 / 51°50'47"N
Longitude: -4.1521 / 4°9'7"W
OS Eastings: 251850
OS Northings: 218615
OS Grid: SN518186
Mapcode National: GBR DN.TYHZ
Mapcode Global: VH3LK.ZV9D
Entry Name: Brynhawddgar
Listing Date: 19 May 1999
Last Amended: 19 May 1999
Source ID: 21756
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Opposite to the north-west entrance to the National Botanic Garden, north of a road junction. Monolith limestone gatepiers; late C19 cross-braced gate with iron palings.
Community: Llanarthney (Llanarthne)
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Early/mid C19, built for Edward Hamlyn Adams; said to have been a dower house to Middleton Hall. It had not yet been built in 1831. In 1847 it was recorded as a house with plantation, the property of E H Adams of Middleton Hall, in his own occupation.
A house of two storeys in the simple Classical style of the Regency period, facing north east. Rendered. Low-pitch hipped small slate roof with metal ridge and deep eaves overhang. Two rendered chimneys at roof ridge. The front elevation is of three windows with an open-fronted porch. Six-panel main door with beaded flush panels and two glazed panels. Two-window left side elevation, four-window rear elevation. Rear cross-wing opposite to entrance. Windows generally are of nine panes above and twelve panes below, with mainly hornless sashes. In the gable of the rear cross-wing are a pair of round-headed sash windows to each floor, those to first floor retaining moulded capital to central column. Cross wing retains moulded string course at eaves level continuing across gable, a feature lost on the main house in recent re-rendering. French window at rear. In tandem to the right (north-west) is a stables and coach-house block, in random rubble stonework, slate roof, three windows. Some evidence for raising of roof. Inserted door to right and low single storey lean-to to rear.
A good late Regency or early Victorian house of gentry status associated with the Middleton Hall estate, which has retained its architectural character.
Other nearby listed buildings